High School teachers: Torchbearers of my life

Last month I had to fly to North Carolina for a weeklong training bootcamp.  I knew that the wait time at the San Francisco Airport would be a couple of hours so I prepared myself for the long haul by carrying along with me a book that would help me improve my knowledge on Virtualization and Networking.   One of the TSA officers who saw me reading the book was curious to know why I was doing this instead of spending my time browsing through social media sites on my mobile phone.  This made me recall a small but significant lesson I had learnt from my high school teacher B.N. Shankar nearly forty years ago.  Shankar, who was teaching us History and Civics, told us something that I never realized on that day all those years ago that I would carry with me for the rest of my life.  I never imagined that what he taught us on that day would have a profound effect on me for ever.


What Shankar taught us on that occasion was pretty simple, or so it appeared on that day.  He explained a scenario where you go to a movie theater.  You stand in the queue for about 45 minutes, then you purchase the ticket and watch the movie.  When you stand in the queue, do not waste time doing nothing or staring around.  Carry a book with you.  Read the book for those 45 minutes that you are stuck in the queue.  You may not be able to absorb the material in the book to the extent you would if you were to be reading the book in the quiet surroundings of your home.  Yet, whatever you read during this period of waiting would serve you in good stead and would make the time spent in the queue more productive from a knowledge derivative than if you were to idle away your time.  Today B.N. Shankar is no more but after all these years Shankar's words of wisdom still live in me and continue to be relevant!!!!!!!

This is after all one example of how my high school teachers influenced me during those formative years that I spent in Raghavendra High School, Malleswaram, when I was a green sapling, and how whatever I learnt during that vital three-year period has served me in good stead for a lifetime.  We never knew it at that time but what all our teachers were doing was that they were making us street smart, not just book smart.  Their thoughts, words and actions were making their way up our nerves into our brains, all the while happening in a slow, strong, insightful manner and getting hard coded into our psychology.  Our teachers were touching our lives and nurturing us into becoming adults with the right values and more importantly incorporating in us the tact, the critical thinking, and strategies that would serve us well in the yet-to-come forebearing future of our lives.  Unknown to us, our hidden treasures were being opened for us, we were being taught to take control of our lives and to be the custodians and torch bearers for ourselves and our near and dear ones.  Our teachers were compassionate about how they taught us and were always encouraging us to hold the candles and light the path ourselves into which we were walking.  To lead our lives with pride, dignity, integrity, determination and competitiveness.   It's amazing and mind boggling to imagine that a teacher's influence on a person is for ever and ever and not just confined to those few years when the students are learning from those teachers.


I am going to utilize this opportunity to talk about our Geometry teacher in our final year of high school.  B. Aravind Mitra was a godsend.  His name pretty much said everything about him, and his parents could not have chosen a better name for him.  For the connoisseur and the curious, Aravind means the Lotus flower and Mitra means friend.  Aravind Mitra was a once-in-a-generation kind of a teacher who knew what it meant to drill knowledge into the students's brains and who had his own, unique, innovative, unorthodox techniques to drive home the point.  To give you an illustration, before I met Aravind Mitra I always had difficulty comprehending how to express something in terms of something else, for example how do you express the volume of a 3 x 3 x 3 i.e. 27 cubic feet tank in terms of cubic metres.  This teacher knew how to break down the complex equation into a simple formula:
1 foot = 12 inches
1 inch = 2.54 cm = 0.0254 metre
Therefore 3 feet x 3 feet x 3 feet = (3 x 1 foot) x (3 x 1 foot) x (3 x 1 foot)= (3 x 12 x 0.0254) x (3 x 12 x 0.0254) x (3 x 12 x 0.0254) metre x metre x metre = 0.765 cubic metres = 1 metre breadth x 1 metre width x 0.765 metre height

Simple yet brilliant.  Plain yet meaningful.  Divide and rule.  Aravind Mitra showed that's there is no such thing as rocket science.  Nothing is impossible to understand.  Every complex problem is merely a mix and match of simple ingredients.  


No tribute written by me to our high school teachers is going to be complete without articulating on my Math teacher for three years, that is H.T. Kashi Venkatachar.  Of all the thirty or thirty five teachers during my academic run I consider HTK to be my favorite and the one teacher who influenced me the most in my life, who was a larger-than-life figure and who continues to be an inspiration to me right through my thoughts and actions.  HTK was everything that you could ask for in a teacher and much more than merely someone who taught in the class and walked away when the school bell rang.  He was a friend, philosopher, mentor and guide.  And a huge cricket fan too, something that strikes a chord in me and resonates with me.  HTK was one who went way beyond his call of duty, and like the saying goes, he was willing to bend backwards to do anything that would benefit his students.  I particularly remember HTK's efforts during the holidays just before our final year in high school started.  It so happened that our syllabus changed that year, and it was essentially back to the drawing board not only for the students but for the teachers too.  New concepts were introduced and they were intimidating enough to drive us scared.  We were lucky we had an exceptionallly brilliant student in our class by name Madhukar.  So while all of us, say 120 of us were on the streets playing cricket and enjoying our holidays, our Math teacher HTK and this bright bulb Madhukar used to meet every day, spend some eight hours together, resolving the puzzles in the Math, and bringing a method to the madness in those cryptic Algebra, Quadratic equations, Permutations and Combinations, nPr and nCr  --- enough to drive the brain go dizzy.  But for their efforts we, or speaking for myself, I would not have got through successfuly in high school and stepped into PUC and to Engineering down the road.  I am indebted to HTK and Madhukar for whatever they did, thinking beyond the horizon and outside the box to do whatever it took to get us over the line.  If there is one person on this planet that I would like to dedicate my lateral thinking skills to, I would give it to HTK.


When we were in high school we often used to take our teachers for granted but only when you look at them in retrospection way down the years do you realize how much of an influence they brought upon us.  The teachers were very empathetic, putting themselves in our shoes, looking at things and aspects from our individual perspectives, and rendering a powerful impact on us.  I left high school some 37 years ago but in a way I have never really left that school, and I still carry it with me in my mind, head, heart and soul.  The teachers did not merely teach.  They built friendships, they nurtured our childhood lives, they planted in us the seeds of curiosity, inquisitiveness, thirst for knowledge, and the ambition, motivation and intensity to succeed in life, and they made us better citizens.  And our teachers never expected anything in return nor did they get anything.  Other than the satisfaction of having made us better human beings amidst a collaborative community.  We owe it to our teachers.  All of us.  Every one of us.

My parents may claim that it was they who brought me to this world and that I belong to them.  However, no matter how much I owe it to my parents, a small part of me always belongs to my teachers.  And this is what makes me recall my high school teachers with pride, nostalgia and sentimentality.  For whatever they did to me and to us, we the lucky students who had the good fortune and privilege of coming under their tutelage.  It makes me emotional to talk about my high school teachers.  It's a sacred topic to me.  I remember my teachers every day.  Every single day of my life.  Without them I would not be here.




11 comments:

  1. Very nicely written article. Enjoyed reading it. Brought back some good old memories of my high school days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful expression of thoughts on our beloved teachers. The article flow itself shows the guidance given by our brilliant teachers for an individual to excel in any field. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent & cherishing writeup. I would start reading more in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent write up again Kiran DS. Fact that you are thinking out of the box and doing deep analysis on various things especially this topic that you chose to write on teachers ( Veda says-Guru Saakshaath Parabrahma), trying to remember guru vaakya is remembering God. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful feelings. Impressive and keep writing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this lovely experience at high school. I am also student of BNS. I still remember things which I always cherish, once he had given home work and i completely forgot and in the class I felt very bad for not doing it.. instead of scolding or getting angry on me he said. Arus if u want to start some thing start doing like first by a thought that I want to do it and just try doing for a minute and it will.become an habit... I still follow this words bz I have chosen dance as my profession. It works magically with me and my students.. there are many such episode... That's for bringing back such wonderful memories... Love Raghvendra High school, TKR .. our PT teacher... He said this words in his style.. "hey lovadake ( slang)... Never look down even if u make a mistake.. keep your chin up in every moment of your life and be like a tiger... Wow that was something.... I still look into people eyes and speak ... ACT.. what a rowdy teacher... Somusundar was our principal, NPR was our computer teacher, few lady teacher's.. I loved to play football at bashyam ground and loved the school band especially Ganesh visargan at Sankey.. what a awesome procession ..
    Wow.. golden moments...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely written. Your down the lane memories were very interesting and the writing was crisp, interesting and gripping.
    However my viewpoint differs in terms of source of learning.
    Learning is a continuous process and source of learning not necessarily has to be a teacher.
    We learn from our surroundings
    We learn from nature
    We learn from animals
    We learn from our MISTAKES
    We also learn from small kids
    Sources' list is endless..

    This world has seen many genius who have never gone to any school.. And seen any teacher in their life..

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite teacher was LRR (L. Raghavendra Rao), our Biology teacher for all 3 years (1972-1975).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely written kiran, you recalled my old memories RHS, where i was plying cricketfor two years, went onto play BT Ramaiah cricket shield which is almost like playinf with ranji players. Yes, myaself, vasan, and urs, used come to sathish's house evryday by cycle, feom there together we use dto come to school. All three years. Great school and great ezpwrience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myself, arun and urs tried meet BKJ few months back, but only we could talk to her over phone. She recognised us and completemented. Heartfull thanks madam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Gratitude is truly gratifying"

    Kiran - You wrote this blog in 2017 ... you just shared it with me this morning, June 25, 2023. Thank you very much for sharing this. I feel so blessed and happy to read it today.

    I am very happy you wrote about all our wonderful teachers at Raghavendra High School. I feel really blessed to have had wonderful teachers and friends such as you to remember our moments of learning together.

    I joined Raghavendra High School under a tough personal situation, health-wise. I was a student of National High School, Basavanagudi during my 8th standard and I missed my final exams due to health reasons. I was asked to repeat my 8th standard at National High School, as they would not evaluate me for the 9th. I had the option of losing a full year of hard work and they would not make any exceptions for me. Right from Smt. H. K. Rukkamma, to B. Aravind Mitra to H. T. Kashi Venkatachar to Smt. B. K. Janakamma to L. R. Raghavendra Rao to S. Somasundaram to M. V. Anantharaman to B. N. Shankar, they said that I had to take all the 8th standard exams and if I passed with a passing grade, they would vote on admitting me to 9th standard, but it will be decided by the entire teaching staff together. But behind the scenes, each one of the teachers encouraged me and made me feel safe and secure and comfortable, so that I would do well and pushed me to do my best. I could not have done, as well as I did, if it was not for my teachers and their continued encouragement during those critical 3 weeks of 8th Standard Re-Tests for me. Once they evaluated my 8th standard exam papers, they all unanimously said ... "We will admit you only if you believe in yourself the next two years and do your best always" ... I just had the best two years of my life at Raghavendra High School from 1979 to 1981. I just cannot say enough to thank each one of them who made me the individual I am today. THANK YOU ALL !!

    My love for Math and Science just bloomed. I used to be a regular at the Planters Coffee Staff Room as well as the small Science Lab where we did our Science Fair prep and experiments. Even the week before we lost MVA in 1981, he had taken me to Chickpet on his grey scooter and asked me to negotiate with the vendor on prices for the Science Fair Calcium Carbonate purchases !! I agree with you, Kiran, that we were Coached and Trained to be street smart while we were prepped to go to College and the University, as well, academically.

    As many of you know, thanks to M. S. Mohan Kumar, we have a new WhatsApp Group now and I plan to have our first Zoom Video Call with all of our teachers - HTK, BKJ, SS and BSA ... in a couple of weeks, on June 9, 2023. I am thrilled to meet each one of my teachers and our friends together.

    Kiran: Please keep writing and I want to thank you for having me in your thoughts. I feel truly blessed. Thank you.

    Madhukar Govindaraju
    Bellevue, WA (USA)
    madhukarcg@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the typo .. The Zoom Video call will be on July 09, 2023, Sunday at 9:30 AM INDIA Time.

    ReplyDelete